Unencrypted Incoming Email Server Configuration

I recently purchased the Yahoo IMAP Connector softwate which I am happy with, However I am concerned that incoming email is unencrypted and that my password is being transmitted in clear text between my computer and Yahoo IMAP servers. Does this not constitute a securuty risk? Would it not be very easy for hackers to intercept thsi password and why has this not been factored in when developing this software?

I don't wish to stop using this software but I also don't want to compromise on security :cry:

Comments

• In theory, any time something is transmitted unencrypted, it could be intercepted. But, in this case, the network servers that relay information on the internet would need to be compromised for a real attack, and this is usually highly unlikely. For example, I have personally used Yahoo IMAP Connector since the beginning (a couple of years now), and I have never had my password compromised.

However, if your email demands the highest levels of security, you probably don't want to be using Yahoo! email, or any web based email in the first place, but rather a proprietary email solution that is behind a corporate firewall, and has very limited access to outside clients.
  • Thanks for your prompt response and this put my mind at ease now that I have a better understanding of what the security aspects. Since I am really happy with the IMAP connector I am going to continue to use it and will regularlyy check for any updates