Dl'd headers first. Marked for dl. Proc doesn't work.

edited February 2011 in Troubleshooting
I am using Outlook 2003 in conjunction with the trial version of Yahoo IMAP Connector 1.0.4

I have a yahoo mailbox with a total of roughly 8000 messages exceeded 5 GB in size. Many of the messages include attachments. I use the Yahoo mail folders as well.

1) With Yahoo IMAP connector, I have successfully downloaded my entire yahoo mailbox folder structure and all message headers.

Downloading of headers only was set up via

Tools --> Send/Receive --> Send/Receive Settings --> Define Send/Receive Groups... --> [Edit...]
Each mail folder was set up for "Download headers only"

2) Next, I wanted to download all messages in their entirety.

In the same "Define Send/Receive Groups..." I changed all mail folder settings to "Download complete item including attachments"

3) Upon commencing a Send/Receive, all the smaller sized folders successfully downloaded in their entirety----complete messages with attachments.

However, the INBOX and SENT folders did not process. All the messages remained as headers only. I double-checked the settings, and I confirmed that I have indeed chosen "Download complete item including attachments"

My INBOX folder message count is 5091
My SENT folder message count is 2532
All the smaller folders which successfully downloaded in full contained less than 100 messages

4) I tried to manually process the INBOX and SENT folders.

I went inside the folders and selected all messages with a CTRL-A multiple selection.
Then I right-clicked to "Mark to download message(s)" in order to manually mark all messages for future download.
Then I right-clicked on the INBOX and SENT folders in the account tree and performed a "Process Marked Headers"

RESULT:
Outlook does its "checking for new mail" operation. The progress bars run to completion quickly. Nothing gets downloaded

5) To further investigate, I tried marking a smaller group of messages for downloading.

I marked 20 messages for download.
Then I went to process these 20 messages.
They DO get downloaded successfully.

Does Yahoo IMAP connector contain an internal message count/size limitation for email downloads? Please help.

Comments

• You may be encountering a limitation with the yahoo IMAP servers themselves. With Yahoo IMAP Connector, it just provides a connection to the Yahoo IMAP servers, and does not impose any limitation on the number of downloads or download size. However, for bandwidth reasons the Yahoo IMAP servers themselves may impose some limitations.

Since you have already made sure that Outlook is setup to download the complete items, not just headers, I would just block mark groups of 300 or so messages at once in Outlook, and download them completely in groups of a couple hundred. Once you have fully downloaded everything, you probably won't run into this limitation anymore.
  • Thanks a lot for your response here!

For others out there that are also trying to backup their Yahoo mail (with the help of IMAP connector), I did experiment with different sized blocks of emails to process at a time. Earlier today, the Yahoo system was accepting 3375 Inbox folder emails to process at once. Now that I try it again right now, it doesn't work. Go figure! I was hoping that there would be a magic number that I could rely on, so I could download the maximum amount of emails at a given time for efficiency. It looks like the cutoff number is variable based on server activity? Whatever it is, I'm just glad that I don't have to use POP3 & Yahoo Mail Plus just to backup my email!