Newbie | Free Trial | Questions

I've been accessing my Yahoo! mail accounts using Outlook Express (OE) via POP3 for about a decade. I just downloaded/installed Yahoo IMAP Connector in trial mode and everything is up and running. I generally understand the difference between POP3 and IMAP access, but I have a few questions based on my experience, so far:

1. Shortly after downloading, opening and reading a new email with OE, it automatically gets downloaded again and appears in my OE Inbox as if it were a new, unread email. Why?

2. When I delete an email from my local Inbox (using the delete key), it gets lined out, but remains in my Inbox, nonetheless. In other words, deleting an email doesn't remove it from my Inbox in OE. Am I doing something wrong, or is this normal? If it's normal, then how do I physically remove deleted emails from my Inbox in OE? ANSWERED/RESOLVED

3. When I first connected/synced my account, numerous folders were created under "IMAP Folders" in OE. I assume they were created based on what already existed under my account on Yahoo!'s servers. However, I can't figure out why two iterations of both the Sent (i.e. Sent Items and Sent) and Drafts (i.e. Drafts and Draft) were created locally in OE when only one of each exists on Yahoo!'s servers. Do I need both iterations, and what determines which folders are maintained on Yahoo!'s servers? Again, these folders are different from and in addition to those which already existed under "Local Folders."

4. I'm under the impression that checking for new mail and synchronizing accounts are two distinctly different actions when using Yahoo IMAP Connector in conjunction with OE. Is that correct? In other words, you don't need to sync to check for new mail, and vice-versa. However, when you select the check box adjacent to a particular folder, it adds synchronization for that folder to the list of tasks OE undertakes when you click send/receive. Is that correct?

5. Do I still need a Mail Plus account to use Yahoo IMAP Connector? If not, will I lose any functionality by not having one?

TIA for any feedback/input.

Comments

• bravurasoftbravurasoft Redmond, WA
    1. Be sure to create a new account for Yahoo IMAP Connector, not reuse the existing POP3 account
    2. There is a way to setup Outlook Express to automatically purge deleted items. Read more about purging deleted items at http://email.about.com/od/outlookexpres ... e_mail.htm
    3. You can tell Outlook Express which folder should be used as the "Sent" and "Draft" folders. Microsoft Outlook is smarter about this, but you will need to configure this in the IMAP Folders section
    4. No, synching and checking for new mail is pretty much the same thing. With the IMAP protocol, the client (Outlook Express), can sync up its stored messages with those on the server, instead of always having to download and typically remove them (as with POP3). This way, after Outlook Express has finished synching, everything should be exactly as it is on the IMAP server - you don't have to worry about it removing messages, as you do with POP3.
    5. You don't need a Yahoo Plus account for Yahoo IMAP Connector. The benefit it offers is POP3 access, but IMAP access is always better.