Delete files and folders

I am a new user of Easy Computer Sync. I originally tried to use Roxio and CD-RW to backup a Windows XP to a Windows 7 PC and failed ; I then used flash drive successfully, but had to crawl under the computer desk to use it! Easy Computer Sync is sensible.

The software does a basic sync' but doesn't delete files and folders which will be left as orphan on the computer. I have set SyncBackFree to do mirrors to cover this deficiency where deleted files and folders have occurred in a session.

Do we know when an update of Easy Computer Sync dealing with this will arrive?

Easy Computer Sync is a good product and enables simple networking. The package of CD-ROM and USB transfer cable answers the first part of a home user's problem.....how to network. 2BrightSparks and SyncBackSE may have the answer to the second part of the problem.....the available software. Possibly the two firms could get-it-together!

SyncBackFree doesn't have as much difficulty with conflicts; mirrors and a difference table are invaluable. The Easy Computer Sync finds a host of files that appear to exist on both computers, but it asks what to do with them.....I can't resolve the conflicts; they don't sync' out of the process with repeated syncs'. I have an idea it may be file name length and the Dropbox that is an issue here. Has anyone resolved that problem? :)

:) to 60%

End

Comments

• In reply to my own message posted on the forum...
    I have resolved one issue at least: I have discovered what the huge number of conflicts are!

With Easy Computer Sync, on synchronising, I have some 200 files from My Documents that have the same file name but they are treated as having changed, even when they are dormant in My Documents. ECS asks: what should it do with them?

It occurred to me that it could be a dropbox issue, so I shortened the file name but to no effect. I then removed the depth of sub-foldering but to no effect. An inspection of the Log after a sync' task shows that they are all emails received from Outlook Express and saved. They would be from Windows XP and Windows 7.

This level of conflict seems not to occur on mirror syncs' with SyncBackFree, so I would be interested in a technical explanation.

So that just leaves the problem of deleted files returning.

Does anyone know how to network a Windows XP PC to a Windows 7, by a cable, without getting a prompt for a network username and password? They will earn my eternal gratitude as well...I have spent the entire day trying to do that.....are we mugs?

;)